Sunday, February 17, 2008

i now get it....

I understand why I like to scrap book and blog. I understand why my body is drawn to write things down, document, tell some sort of story. I understand why I want to keep doing this till my body can't. I do it for them, for me.

We hold the keys to a lot of people within us. Family, friends, ourselves. If we don't write it down, document with pictures, words, emotions, we will not have a road map of us when we are gone.

It amazes me all the stories our past generations have but never wrote them down. All that information is gone forever. I am sad that when my parents and Randy's parents die, the chapters of us before our memories formed, will be gone. Washed away like the sea does to sand castles we build along the beach. I will not have an idea how my parents fell in love. What it was like raising three kids in the 1970's. How old I was when I walked or what it was like to watch me leave the house when I moved out. I will never know the fun little stories of Randy as a baby. What kind of trouble he got into at school. Or what he got for this 5th birthday.

I want my kids to have all this information. I want future generations to know what my favorite color was, how I wore my hair when I was 34 or what I did on my last vacation. It may be simple words on paper, a few pretty ribbons or a button, but it's much more. It a peace of me, my family, my dreams that I leave behind so others who never met me, will know me, my kids, my life.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I completely agree. I have never kept a journal but I can really keep my family's story going with the blog and scrapbooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...